Why Colon Treatment?
The colon, large intestine or bowel is situated in the abdomen and forms the final part of the digestive tract. It is approximately 5 ft long and 2.5 inches in diameter. The colon is responsible for a number of vital functions, such as:
- it reabsorbs 90% of water,
- the absorption of water-soluble nutrients and
- the synthesis of certain vitamins
- stores unwanted material from the body until you evacuate
Not only does colonic hydrotherapy directly clear out the colon, it also assists in rehydrating the bodies cells creating a healthy environment in your body. Your stomach will be flatter, bloating will be reduced, skin and eyes become brighter, a reduction of flatulence, a general increase in energy, improved mental clarity and it can also help with, immune and weight problems too
The colon is a major part of the excretory system, and is responsible for eliminating food and other body wastes, as well as protecting us from infection and disease. In a normal functioning colon, all this is achieved with the help of billions of friendly bacteria which inhabit the colon and make up some 70% of the dry weight of our faecal waste. However, the delicate balance of this internal ecosystem can very easily be disturbed by a number of factors including stress, pollution, poor food and drink choices, certain drugs, smoking and exposure to toxic substances. Many people benefit from taking a course of Acidophilus to help reduce excess wind and bloating
- The healthy transit time (the time a meal takes to pass from mouth to rectum) of food through our bodies should take 12-24 hours.
- On average in the U.K. it is now 60 hours for men and 70 hours for women!
- The United Kingdom is the most constipated nation in the world.
- The U.K. has the highest incidence of bowel cancer in the world with 20,000 new cases per year.
- One in three people consulting G.P.s have a bowel problem
The colon can benefit from from a colonic by helping reduce toxins and putrefaction being reabsorbed back into the body. Colonic Irrigation is especially popular for those participating in a detox cleanse. Such detox cleanses include Jason Vale – The Juice Master – Juicing, Andreas Moritz – The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush, Joe Cross-Reboot or Kimberly Synder-The Beauty Detox to name a few.
Individuals with sluggish colons may especially benefit from colonics as the action of the water helps exercise, re-tone and reshape the colon, which in time may help with daily motions when the muscle tone is improved. Colonic Hydrotherapy may sound a far-fetched answer to some of your health problems, but it is really no more than an internal bath, helping cleanse the colon of excess gas and accumulated faecal matter. Once the the bowel is completely empty it will leave you feeling refreshed, lighter & your colon healthier whilst your digestive symptoms diminish
What is a Colon Hydrotherapy Treatment?
Yes. The water is only introduced at a very low gravitational pressure and at body temperature. Kay Brown is fully trained and qualified by ARCH the Colonic Association and has over ten years full time experience in specialising in Colonic Irrigation. She carries out a thorough Client Questionnaire which covers all contraindications and reasons for considering a colonic. All the equipment at ColonCare is fully disposable and the premises are cleaned and maintained to an exceptional level. Colonic Hydrotherapy, unlike the use of laxatives is not habit forming & actually exercises the colon improving the tone of the muscle walls. Many people are concerned about flushing away the good bacteria during a colonic. After all the impacted old waste has been eliminated it then provides a more favourable environment for the good bacteria to flourish. If required Acidophilus (good bacteria) of various strengths can be purchased on the day if recommended. We strongly advise all antibiotic courses are followed up with Acidophilus as antibiotics kill all good and bad bacteria. After antibiotics the bad bacteria thrive quicker than the good bacteria causing a bacterial imbalance, this if untreated may lead to thrush and candida.
Please don’t hesitate to ring and ask Kay to return your call to answer any questions and help put your mind at ease
Your first visit to our registered colonic therapist at Colon Care will take approximately 75 minutes; all subsequent treatments take approximately 60 minutes. In the days leading to your Colonic appointment we strongly recommend that you drink at least two and a half litres of water each day which will ensure you optimum results. During the first appointment a full medical case history is recorded. Your reasons for seeking a treatment & any problem areas are also identified. We also offer complimentary dietary advice and recommendations to support a healthier lifestyle. We strongly advise clients to bring in a food diary’s to enable an accurate evaluation of general eating habits. Patients are sent to a private toilet to empty their bladder & remove clothing from the waist down, a large towel is provided to preserve your modesty. Patients lie on their left side on the couch initially to enable the insertion of a disposable speculum two inches into the rectum (not all therapists use disposable equipment). This is not a painful process & should not be uncomfortable. Two disposable hoses are then attached to the speculum, one for the incoming filtered water, the other for the elimination of faecal waste. Warm purified water flows slowly into the bowel via the rectum very under low gravitational pressure. After approximately ten minutes the client lies on their back where they will be able to view all the release water & faecal waste. During the treatment you will feel the water entering the colon, together with a sensation of ‘butterflies’ when material is passed. This eliminates & evacuates old accumulated faecal matter, gases, mucus, dead skin cells & parasites left in the intestinal folds. During your treatment natural herbs or epsom salts included and are always used in the water to help relax, cleanse & soak the colon and liver. The whole system (equipment) is totally enclosed, so nothing noxious can escape into the treatment room. The water exercises & tones the bowel, allowing it to function more effectively & regularly-especially beneficial for sluggish bowels
No fasting or special measures are necessary prior to your treatments. Patients have a more effective treatment when they drink the recommended 2.5 litres (5 pints) of water per day in the days leading up to their appointment. We recommend increasing your water so that the faeces is softer and easier to pass through the tube, this is essential for constipated bowels with large, hard impacted stools. We also recommend clients reduce the amount of processed foods consumed and stay clear of fermentable foods which create excess gas such as brussel sprouts and baked beans. Feel free to start a food diary and bring it along with you, this makes it much easier for Kay to get an accurate idea of what you consume daily and give recommendations . If there is any doubt about the treatment we will ask you to obtain permission from your G.P. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask for no obligation advice.
At the end of the treatment the client visits the toilet again & gets dressed. At Colon Care, we give recommendations & advice on how to improve your well-being, based on the information imparted throughout the treatment. We may advise beneficial dietary changes to further enhance future treatments & lifestyle. Following the treatment, you can carry on as normal. In fact, many people pop in during their lunch hour for a treatment. Following the initial treatment some clients may require a follow up treatment, or course may be recommended after a period of one to two weeks. This may be recommended for several reasons such as; lots of mucus in the release water or if it was not possible to clear the whole 5ft of colon in one treatment. Clients may be asked to alter their lifestyle such as improve fluid intake or increase fibre in their diet between appointments. If you are a healthy individual, eat few processed foods & drink at least 2 litres of water daily, it is unlikely you will need a course of colonics after your initial treatment
How Will I Feel After a Colon Hydrotherapy Treatment?
When the residual faecal matter is reduced & eliminated, people are left feeling with a greater sense of well-being. After a treatment expect to feel lighter, less bloated and experience less wind. There should be no reason why you cannot return to your daily business after the Colonic.
Colonic Irrigation eliminates old accumulated waste which otherwise may be reabsorbed back into the body via the bloodstream. In sluggish systems these toxins may also congest other purification organs such as the liver, kidneys and skin. This congestion may become present throughout the body’s tissues & cells can trigger a variety of illnesses & symptoms, which Colon Hydrotherapy may improve
- Clears the colon of hardened faecal matter, mucous, parasits and harmful toxins.
- Stimulation of the body’s immune system and hydrates.
- Improved absorption of minerals, nutrients and water into the body.
- Reduces toxic absorption and detoxifies the body.
- Provision of a favourable environment for friendly bacteria and micro-flora, aiding digestion.
- Strengthens and tones muscular contraction of the colon (peristalsis) particularly beneficial for sluggish constipated bowels.
- Re-educate and promote normal & regular bowel movements.
- Bowel disease risks and symptoms are diminished.
For some individuals a course of treatments may be necessary to clear the whole colon which is 5ft. Poor diet, lack of fibre and water may cause faecal matter to become impacted. In these cases subsequent treatments may be required a few days apart to achieve the desired results. Colonics also have a beneficial effect on all of the following:
Abdominal Pain, Allergies, Acne, Arthritis, Bad Breath, Bloating, Body Odour, Back Ache, Bladder Infections, Candida, Colitis, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Cancer, Depression, Diarrhoea, Diverticulitis, Eczema, Excess Wind, Fatigue, Flatulence, Fluid Retention. Food Cravings, Food Intolerances, Haemorrhoids, Headaches, Indigestion, Intestinal Re-training (for those with debilitating conditions i.e. MS or paralysis), Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Insomnia, Itching, Kidney Problems, Liver Problems, Memory Lapses, Migraines, Nausea, Rashes, Rheumatism, Psoriasis, Skin Problems, Spastic Colon, Stomach Cramps, Stomach Ulcers, Sinus Problems.
Colonic Hydrotherapy / Colon Irrigation can also be beneficial for those on a Weight Management or Detox or Fasting Program
- One can anticipate feeling more peaceful, lighter, cleaner and more energised after a colonic. On rare occasions, if there has been a long-standing condition of constipation or several health problems, a slight headache or fatigue may be experienced with the first or second colonic. If this is so, a short rest will help restore one’s equilibrium.
- Since the colon has been cleared of solid matter, it may take one or two days before normal bowel movements are resumed especially if daily water intake is less than 2L.
- Some water is absorbed through the colon wall during a colonic, and one may notice an increased need to urinate for a few hours afterwards. This beneficial effect of flushing the kidneys may also be enhanced by drinking a few glasses of water with the juice of half a lemon added to each glass.
- A colonic has a profound cleansing effect on the body, and many people feel so good afterwards that they want to double their jogging or workout time. Caution is advised here, for it can be overdone. Although light to moderate exercise is good if you are used to it, any strenuous activity should be avoided that day.
- A light diet of fruits, vegetables, salads, soups and chicken or fish should be followed for two days, taking care to avoid anything that causes gas. Rich or heavy food, flour products, spices and alcohol should also be omitted.
- Although colon irrigation does not remove all of the intestinal bacteria, it is still helpful to take probiotics to maintain bacterial balance. Live bio yoghurt is advised because it is an active cleanser that also adds vital forces to the colon, alternatively acidophilus capsules (which are dairy free) can be purchased.
How often one should have a colonic depends on the diet, stress level, health, age, and how successful the previous colonic was. It is advised having repeated colonics until faecal matter or mucus is no longer visible in the release water. To achieve this a series of colonics – one every two to ten days – may be recommended before going on a maintenance program.
For optimal results maintenance colonics are recommended every 3 months as the seasons and food groups change. For constipated and more sluggish bowels, clients often find a colonic each month beneficial especially in the early days of lifestyle changes. Your therapist will be able to advise you on your next visit.