Fiji Skin & Laser Clinic News
2nd Feb 2024
HIFU Versus Fat Dissolving Injections such as Lemon Bottle Fat Dissolving & Aqualyx
Fat dissolving injections have received a lot of interest over recent months. Lemon Bottle has gone viral (The Guardian) with bold claims of instant results. Aqualux is another popular option seen in the UK. But how do they compare to HIFU for treatment of stubborn fat and cellulite that can not be easily shifted with exercise?
While fat dissolving injections, such as Lemon Bottle and Aqualux are widely available in the UK, it should be noted that neither of these are approved by either the FDA or NICE. Fat dissolving injections should not be confused with weight loss injections. NICE has recently approved the weight loss injection Wegovy (semaglutide) for NHS use in certain situations for treatment of obesity. This works by a very different mechanism to help with overall weight loss. Semaglutide suppresses appetite by mimicking the hormone glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), which is released after eating. It makes people using it feel full, thereby resulting in people eating less and reducing their overall calorie intake.
Fat Dissolving Injections compared to HIFU
Fat dissolving injections such as Lemon Bottle and Aqualux involve injecting a solution into the body to break down the fat in the desired area. Whereas HIFU uses (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound) to painlessly breakdown unwanted fat whilst also tightening skin. Traditional HIFU is known to be painful but Fiji Skin clinic has invested in the latest technology that delivers the energy to the precise area, which not only makes it even more effective, its pain free as well. As seen in the before & after photo HIFU contours the face by creating an eye lift as well as tightening the skin around the jowl & chin area. The skin tightening effects from HIFU is superior over Fat Dissolving Injections for the following reasons.
In HIFU there are 4 cartridges to choose from, giving more control over the treatment compared to fat dissolving injections. The HIFU practitioner will select to use 2 out of the 4 cartridges to target different layers of the skin for specific client concerns. During each treatment 2 passes are made over the skin which always consist of 2 different cartridges. For example, the first pass is with a 4.5mm cartridge used around the jowl area before a second pass is made with the 3mm to target the collagen & elastin to tighten the skin. Each cartridge has its own benefit, which is explained below.
The Benefits of Each of the 4 HIFU Cartridges
At Fiji we have 4 HIFU (13mm, 4.5mm, 3mm & 1.5mm) cartridges to choose from depending on the area we are treating. Here are the depths and advantages each cartridge provides
13mm Cartridge – For Targeting Deep Stubborn Fat on The Body
The 13mm HIFU cartridge is one of the deepest penetrating cartridges used in HIFU treatments. It is only used on the body rather than facial rejuvenation. Here are 3 benefits 13mm HIFU cartridge provides:
- Body Contouring: It is primarily used for fat reduction and body contouring. The depth allows the ultrasound energy to target and break down stubborn fat cells in specific areas.
- Targeting Larger, Deeper Fat Deposits: The 13mm cartridge is suitable for areas with larger fat deposits, such as the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks.
- Skin Tightening: While its primary focus is fat reduction, it can also contribute to a degree of skin tightening in the treated areas.
4.5mm Cartridge – For Targeting Fat Under the Chin & Jawline
The 4.5mm HIFU cartridge is specifically designed for reaching the deeper layers of the skin and the Superficial Muscular Aponeurotic System (SMAS) layer. Here are 5 benefits 4.5mm HIFU cartridge provides:
- SMAS Layer Targeting: The SMAS layer is the area often addressed in facelift surgeries. The 4.5mm cartridge targets this layer, providing a significant lifting and tightening effect.
- Non-Surgical Facelift: By targeting the SMAS layer, the 4.5mm HIFU cartridge is effective for a non-invasive facelift, offering an alternative to traditional surgical facelifts. This is also an excellent option to prevent and slow down the ageing process.
- Improving Skin Elasticity and Firmness: The deep penetration helps in stimulating collagen production at a deeper level, enhancing skin elasticity and firmness.
- Contouring and Lifting: It is particularly beneficial for lifting and contouring the lower face and neck areas, where sagging skin can be more pronounced.
- Reducing Deep Wrinkles: The depth of penetration makes it suitable for addressing deeper wrinkles and more pronounced signs of aging.
3mm Cartridge – For Targeting the Lower Dermis
The 3mm HIFU cartridge is designed to target deeper layers of the skin, typically for facial rejuvenation and tightening. Here are 6 benefits 3mm HIFU cartridge provides:
- Deeper Skin Penetration: Unlike the 1.5mm cartridge, the 3mm cartridge penetrates deeper into the dermal layer of the skin.
- Collagen Production: This depth is effective for stimulating collagen production, which is essential for skin elasticity and firmness.
- Reducing Wrinkles and Sagging: It is particularly effective for addressing moderate signs of aging, such as wrinkles and mild sagging, by tightening the skin.
- Facial Contouring: The 3mm depth can be used for contouring and lifting, especially around the lower face and neck areas
- Non-Surgical Facelift: It’s often part of a non-surgical facelift regimen, providing a less invasive alternative to traditional surgical methods.
1.5mm Cartridge – For Targeting the Superficial Dermis
This specific cartridge targets superficial layers of the skin. Here are 3 benefits 1.5mm HIFU cartridge provides:
- Facial Rejuvenation: It’s commonly used for facial treatments, focusing on the uppermost layers of the skin. This can help in reducing fine lines, open pores, improving skin texture, and providing a mild lifting effect.
- Targeting Sensitive Areas: The 1.5mm depth is ideal for treating sensitive areas like around the eyes and forehead, where the skin is thinner and requires a more delicate approach.
- Stimulating Collagen Production: By delivering ultrasound energy to the skin’s superficial layer, it stimulates collagen production, leading to tighter, more youthful-looking skin.
Traditional HIFU is known to be painful however, Fiji Skin Clinic invested in the latest technology which is now pain-free as it is so precise in targeting the exact layer such as fat or collagen. This also means that there is no downtime and treatments can easily be carried out during your lunch hour.
Many clients prefer HIFU over having fat dissolving injections especially if they are not a fan of needles or have a low pain threshold. After fat dissolves there may also be swelling which can be uncomfortable. After fat dissolving you may not always be able to return immediately back to work or reapply makeup like you can after HIFU.
- Non-Invasive: HIFU is a non-invasive treatment, meaning it does not require incisions or injections.
- Safety: Generally considered safe with fewer risks of complications compared to invasive procedures.
- Recovery Time: Little to no downtime is required. Patients can typically resume normal activities immediately.
- Number of Sessions: May require multiple sessions for optimal results.
- Versatility: It can be used for both fat reduction and skin tightening, offering a dual benefit.
- Pain and Discomfort: Usually minimal discomfort during and after the procedure.
- Results: Results develop over time as the body naturally processes and removes the targeted fat cells and stimulates more collagen to tighten skin.
Fat-Dissolving Injection Summary (e.g. Kybella, Lipolysis, Lemon Bottle, Aqualyx)
- Minimally Invasive: Involves several injections with a substance like deoxycholic acid that dissolves fat.
- Targeted Treatment: Can be very effective for small, targeted areas, like under the chin.
- Recovery Time: Minimal to moderate downtime. Swelling and bruising are common after treatment.
- Number of Sessions: May require multiple sessions for optimal results.
- Pain and Discomfort: Can involve more discomfort during and after the procedure compared to HIFU.
- Results: Results develop over time as the body naturally processes and removes the targeted fat cells.
Both treatments can be used on the face and the body and they are both suitable for treating all skin tones.
The ultimate benefit of a HIFU over lemon bottle/ fat dissolving injections is that HIFU not only breaks down unwanted fat, it also tightens the skin simultaneously. The biggest concern with any fat loss is that we are left with loose crepey skin. Loose skin can cause as much dissatisfaction as the unwanted fat.
Book your initial skin consultation here to discuss your concerns and have your skin scanned using our state of the art Photo Booth.
More on FIJI clinic
We are a leading skin clinic in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham running for almost 20 years with a team of dedicated qualified specialists catering to your every need and help you achieve your dream body goals! Read more about our treatments including Laser Hair Removal, HIFU , HydraFacial’s and much more!
More on FIJI clinic
We are a leading skin clinic in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham running for almost 20 years with a team of dedicated qualified specialists catering to your every need and help you achieve your dream body goals! Read more about our treatments including Laser Hair Removal, HIFU , HydraFacial's and much more!.
Tel: 0121 350 8482